Monday, August 18, 2014

A special potato and Dallas...

With all these kiddos going off to school this week, my anxiety level has increased and most likely peaking out at this point. Did I tell you? We're homeschooling. H-O-M-E-SCHOOLING. Like, at home. If I had a panic button, it would be jammed because I've pressed it too many times. Which actually wouldn't do any good, because most likely (and in my head) I'm imagining there would be a scene from the movie Panic Room where the bars roll up the windows and the whole place goes on lock down. Except, I'm locked IN. I can't get out. I have no choice but to dig my heels in and teach the curriculum I've given my left arm for. (and now I'm imagining trying to teach my children with one arm...see how far we've reached down this rabbit hole? This is my life.)

But I've finally gotten around to revamping my hutch for carrying said arm-priced books for this school year...


I actually freaked out and did a lot of home projects before our newest family member came...including painting my hideous blood red master bedroom..


Spray painted tons of stuff for my bookshelf, Pinterest inspired. Then also organized my bookshelf, Pinterest inspired...


Sewed projects...


Which honestly have me convinced I need to write up a whole 'nother post about why handmade is so darn expensive. Y'all, I can't even begin to explain what you're receiving when you open your handmade order. Likely invisible tears of frustration, and for those of us who suffer from ADD AND OCD, pennies on the dollar for my time. Like I said, whole 'nother post.

We had family pictures done! I haven't received them all, but we went to Crystal Bridges for a few fun shots.


And yes, I know you're thinking it. Our tiny underbite friend is missing. We really weren't going to bring the puppy either, but Doug said you can't have a golden retriever and him not be in the family pictures. Which made sense in that split second moment before leaving.

Did I tell you? We have a golden retriever? After a 6 month long battle, Doug won him. And then I lost the good fight to name him Walter.

Our newest family member, Forrest...


YES. I take way too many pictures of him. #sorrynotsorry
We told the girls on the way to Springfield to pick him up that we were going for a ride with dad to pick up a special potato. And when he went into the shady residential house to get him, that he was going to the backyard to pick the special potato from the garden. And then upon seeing him in dad's arms, how cute our new potato was. (Our family has a thing for potatoes. One Christmas you might remember we wrapped up potatoes and gave them as gifts. The girls thought that was hilarious. Thanks, Jimmy Kimmel, for the new family potato obsession.)

I went to Dallas Market! It was amazing. I'm still in awe of the magnitude of clothing and accessories we saw. I learned SO much about market, and the behind the scenes stuff. We even ran into local shop owners and designers. I'm so excited for the fall line we picked out, I couldn't have asked for a better experience. While absolutely overwhelming, bearings were found and I feel like I could do this, all the time. It makes me want a shop. A lot.


Awful picture, but our hotel was huge. We stayed in the Hyatt Regency, on a level high enough to make my stomach queasy on every.elevator.ride. I couldn't look down into the lobby/bar/cafe area. My first valet experience, I was so excited to see the hotel I thanked the valet by his name on his tag. Apparently nobody uses his name, and I got a scary sparkly smile directed my way. From then on we had an ongoing joke coming up with nicknames for our new admirer, "I wonder if Gare-bear is working valet today". Funny thing is, he will every know we spoke of him in this way. (I'm now trying to think of things my name rhymes with when they speak in reference to me. "You know, Keslyn, that _______ girl." Mostly trying to find ways to drop the "G" in amazing and have it rhyme nicely. Something to that effect, right?)


The most amazing grilled cheese, treasured new gem restaurant in Dallas that serves amazing paleo foods at fantastic prices, my first experience at super Target and Trader Joe's, 15 floors of shopping, finding a mannequin that obviously squats, etc...you've probably already seen these if you're following me on Instagram. Pictures are pretty much how I describe my life now. That's quite obvious, right? To my delightful surprise, Doug and the girls survived the week while I was away, but just enough to miss me and appreciate the role I play ;) And I survived my first ever time away from them that amounted to more than a few hours in the evening. I'm glad to be back, but alas, my real job awaits and my week needs to get started. Because you know, life doesn't wait on you unless its things you absolutely MUST do...

-K

No comments:

Post a Comment