Wednesday, April 10, 2013

The food post...

Okay, I know this sudden interest in foods and nutrition is leaving people rolling their eyes and thinking its just some cliff people are jumping off of...but, I promise this is not the case. I've been watching documentaries that have really hit home and made sense, and there's so SO many things to learn about nutrition in general, much less the properties of foods we eat. I promise to be as normal as possible, and not post anything crazy. The last thing I want to be, is an alarmist. I'm just excited about this new way of eating, and the way our family can benefit from GOOD foods.

First of all, I want to share just a couple of documentaries that make sense, they lay it all out for you so its easy to understand.

GMO/RoundUp Explanation

Movies on Netflix:

Hungry For Change
Food Matters
Fat, Sick, & Nearly Dead (Why I juice!!)

I promise you won't regret watching these, but you might feel a little lost on how to start finding less processed foods, but there's hope!!

I have a great group of friends that pretty much all shop the same, and are trying to find a way to make eating organic/GMO free more economical.

The bottom line is, GMO's (Genetically Modified Organisms) are plants that have been chemically altered in some way or another in a lab and reproduced to withstand pesticides. In studies, lab rats that have been fed ONLY GMO foods were found to be suffer from sterility, have smaller/deformed babies, and kidney problems, etc...those fed round-up treated foods suffered from tumors, organ damage, and premature death. 3750815

The sad thing is, about 80% of American processed foods contain GMO/Round-Up treated foods. ESPECIALLY corn. (reason we will be avoiding corn/corn products from here on out!) The main foods that deal with this are corn, soy, and grains. There are 50+ countries that have banned GMO foods and seeds, and so many that do not use pesticides (look up the lettuce pesticide experiment, it shows as example food dye that wasn't directly placed on lettuce, but the ground it soaks its nutrients from. It leached the dye from the ground, and was ingrained in the actual makeup. You can't wash that off. The dye represents pesticides. No more lettuce for this girl, unless directly saying organic).

Not all organic foods are non-GMO. Bummer.

We're steering away from processed foods, on one of the videos they explained how we are overfed, and starving to death. The foods we do acually eat (that are processed) are so low in nutrients that our bodies continue to say its starving, and needs more (this wouldn't happen if the foods we ate were actually nutrient rich and satisfying). Because the processed foods aren't foods our bodies can recognize, it doesn't know what to do with it. So it creates fat cells to store it. So your body is still starving for the nutrients and vitamins it needs, and you're keeping the foods it doesn't recognize. Does that make sense? The video Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead is the one I decided to start juicing afterwards, nourishing our bodies from the inside out.

Its amazing the things I never knew until I started reading on ingredients. Did you know gum is a form of rubber and elastic? Yummy.

HERE is a list of non-gmo verified products. We loooove Annie's. They make great crackers and snacks, as well as macaroni and such that are non-gmo...its even an app you can download.

Here's some things I've been trying out, and although I've been spending a lot more time in the kitchen, I feel better knowing the foods I feed my family isn't going to shorten or complicate their lives. Sure, we still eat out occasionally and have pizza night, and its in the back of my mind when we eat it, but its unbelievably hard to get away from it all. We've changed the way we shop, and where we shop (Cook's Natural Foods, Fresh Market, Target, Walmart is carrying more organic-some labels don't pay for the USDA organic label so if you look them up by company you can see if they are or not, and hopefully Farmer's Market when it starts up). I have a few more stores to go to, and it requires meal planning, but I think it can work.


Juicing.


Annie's macaroni with fiber leftovers from juicing, and of course juicing (apples, celery, cucumber, carrots, beets, spinach, etc...)


Yummy.


Chia seeds (superfood!!) I'm trying to incorporate into meals...


Non-traditional organic blueberry/chia seed pancakes (made with coconut milk!)



I tried making my own fiber crackers from the leftover fiber from juicing...since I don't have a garden to compost for...



Huge nasty fail...



Salad and nuts for lunch...


Re-growing kitchen scraps (organic romaine lettuce)



Progress...I'm trying to grow avocado plants so I can have my own, I plan to put them in my big potters on the front steps...

Foods that will Re-Grow from scraps.


Mission organic avocado dip (brand carried at walmart without organic label) and Late July non-gmo/organic chips. Avocado dip made with lemon juice and salt/pepper.


Stuff I found interesting...


(I've been using apple cider vinegar as a toner at night, its a natural anti-bacterial. Follow up with organic olive oil as moisturizer. Amazing, really.)







(I now take spirulina, vitamin C, and vitamin D to help my body absorb vitamin C)










(We now cook/bake with coconut oil and EVOO)






Lemon honey mask. My skin has never felt so soft and awesome. Just slice a lemon in half, pour honey on top, then apply to face in circular motions. Leave on for 5 minutes (careful around your eyes!! Ahh, lemon juice!!)


So, aside from trying to stay away from certain foods, I feel like I'm really learning a lot about how to feed my body properly and great properties of vegetables, all their uses and benefits, and how to combine them in a yummy way. Did you know carbs once entered into the body turn directly into sugar? Crazy. No wonder I'm hooked on breads and pastas. Did you know sugar is a lot like cocaine? That you get a temporary high and endorphins from it? No wonder carbs, chocolate, and MSG flavored foods are "comfort foods". No wonder its so hard to eat healthy. Forget diets, its about nutrition.

So really we're eating more vegetables, nuts, drinking more (lemon) water, organic milk, juices, eating organic peanut butter, eggs, pancakes, salads, fresh foods in general. I'm not going to lie, its a big adjustment, but soooo worth it. I even bought a whole chicken and crock potted it, then used the bones and juices to make my own chicken stock for freezing. HERE. Which is great, because there's tons of meat on a whole chicken and it falls off the bone when you take it out (I even defeated my chicken bone fear, I HATE touching chicken bones. Won't even eat wings, or BBQ chicken).

Okay, enough for now...I just didn't want anyone to think I've fallen off my rocker because of my new sense of awareness. You never really know these things until you search, and I really do wish there was a nutrition class in high school we were required to take or as an elective. I would have benefited so much from it early on. I am by no means an authority on this matter...but please don't be afraid to ask questions, I don't know all the answers but I know its overwhelming once you decide you want to start eating well...especially in this area.

Peacelove.
Kes

P.S. Major thanks to my friends who shared their knowledge with me, and introduced this whole new way of thinking about food!!

No comments:

Post a Comment